Hang By a Thread (Perfect ••)Edit
- Action: Instant
- Dice pool: Strength + Athletics
- Cost: 1 Wisp
- Duration: 1 scene
The Noble creates long vines, ribbons or woven lines that tie themselves to any surface she hurls them to.
- Dramatic Failure: The Noble entangles herself in the cords she creates. She takes either the Arm Wrack [CofD 280] or Leg Wrack [CofD 285] Tilt (in the one-limb form) until the scene ends.
- Failure: No cords appear.
- Success: Until the Charm ends, the Noble can extend some part of her Regalia into cords of considerable length. She can throw a cord at a target, using the rules for a thrown weapon [CofD 90] but with a short range of (Strength + Dexterity + Athletics) * 2 yards; if she hits, the cord attaches itself to the target with roots, hooks, knots or glue. The cords can stretch out to the Noble's long range when thrown, plus a yard or so of slack, and are always attached to the Noble. If anyone tries to cut a cord, its Durability and Structure is that of her Regalia; it will disintegrate if successfully cut. Cords detach and retract into the Noble when the Charm ends.
- Once a cord is attached, the Noble can detach it as a reflexive action, or change its length by up to twice her Speed instead of moving. If the cord is tied to a fixed structure or an object too heavy for her to move, reeling in the cord pulls the Noble toward it, and she can swing from the cord while carrying anything she can lift without effort. If the cord is attached to a object she can move, reeling it in pulls the attached object toward the Noble. If the cord is attached to a character, reeling it in brings the Noble and her target together; if both try to stand still each reflexively rolls Strength + Athletics, and the contest's loser moves toward the winner (reroll ties.)
- Exceptional Success: The Noble's cords grow longer and lighter. Her short range when throwing them is (Strength + Dexterity + Athletics) * 3 yards.
- Cost: +1 Wisp
The Noble can detach a thrown cord from herself, leaving it attached at the far end, as a reflexive action. As an instant action, she may fasten the near end to anything she can touch, as securely as it's tied at the far end. All her detached cords disintegrate when the Charm ends. If the Noble originally activated the Charm without this upgrade, she can pay just the upgrade's cost to activate it as well.