Somebody Else’s Problem (•••, Specchio ••)Edit
- Action: Reflexive
- Dice pool: Intelligence + Composure - Shadows
- Cost: 1 Wisp
- Duration: lasting
No matter how many of her Heirs fail spectacularly the Queen of Mirrors never shows pause in her tireless endeavors. Some speculate that she wants her chosen to fail, those who know of this Charm often give a different reason. They say that unable to bear the weight of so many failures she has chosen to forget about them and so she crafted a Charm to do just that. Only those Nobles with memories of the Palace of Looking Glass itself remember that the Queen of Mirrors was once the Hierophant-Queen. With her Mirrors and spyglasses she could see across time and space and often saw secrets best forgotten; hinting that there was once a more noble purpose to this Charm.
Somebody Else’s Problem erases the user’s memories. It’s as simple as that. This Charm can take the weight of Sympathy off a Noble’s shoulder, for what she does not know cannot hurt her. The most common use of this Charm is to instantly end a Haunting by forgetting all about the action that caused it.
- Dramatic Failure: The Noble completely messes up her own mind. Choose one wide ranging topic like “Academics”, “my family” or “Connect Charms”. The Noble gains the Amnesia Condition [CofD 288] on everything about that topic. The Condition wears off at the end of the scene.
- Failure: Nothing happens.
- Success: The Noble erases everything she remembers of the last few minutes, up to at most 3 minutes for each success. The memories are not just suppressed, they are gone as though they had never existed. The Noble knows only that she has erased her own memory. No magic or psychological technique will let the Noble regain her memories; however, she is not prevented from forming new memories about the topic.
- The effects of all Sensitivity rolls during the forgotten time are nullified, including Hauntings and Shadows. Somebody Else’s Problem cannot give free dots of Belief, but erasing all memory of a Belief Compromise will allow a Noble to buy back lost Belief with exp. This is purely an OOC rule, but the Storyteller is free to explain it as valuable life experiences being erased if she wishes.
- Exceptional Success: No further benefit.
The Noble may erase her memories up to one day after they have formed. The maximum time erased by a single use remains the same, but she can now use multiple invocations to erase longer periods. Some Nobles use the extra time to write notes to themselves, but knowing what happened is no substitute for experiencing it.